Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A non Vegas post? Could it be?

Just to shake things up a bit and broaden the topics I cover here I want to take a moment and further explore this crazy notion of acquiring a sailboat with the intent to live on it.

Here's a boat I recently found that, while on the high end of what I was thinking about spending gives a pretty good idea of what I'm looking at:



36' Islander

A few things I really like about this boat:
1) The wood interior. It seems, in the pictures, very warm. Many more modern boats seem to have a very white plastic look that doesn't seem very homey.
2)It has a larger waste holding tank that I have seen on many boats this size and smaller.
3) It's larger then most of the boats I think about. I suspect I'll get something closer to 30 instead of 36, cost being the biggest factor on length of boat
4) It's newer then 1980, again many of the boats I've looked at (looked at online mind you) are a bit older
5) It seems to have a pretty good set of electronics ie. depth sounder, radar, knot meter, gps and vhf. I'm not sure what the quality of all of them are but I've seen plenty of boats with less
6) A quarter berth in the back of the boat. That's the bed behind the stairs into the cabin. Having a cat, yes Salome too will have to live on the sailboat, I have no idea where I would put the worst part of cat ownership, the litter box. The only space I can think of is a quarter berth as far from the rest of the cabin as possible.

So there ya go. A few things I'm looking for in a boat.

VPW = 20 : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man! Nice boat!

You could teach Salome to use the toilet (or "head" in sailing vernacular) although putting the seat up may be a challenge for something with four paws.

I was just reflecting on your two great passions - Vegas and boats. They seem kind of contradictory. Maybe like the movie Off The Map. (Great movie!)

Sending you good wishes from the East Coast for quitting smoking.