Friday, September 22, 2006

Getting older

I've never really had an issue with my age, other then not being about to drink legally before 21. I don't mind getting older even with my body not being what it use to be just a few years ago. I even appreciate the insights into life that comes with the experience of living. This is not to say I don't have some issues around getting older.

I think my biggest issue around getting older is that I don't want to be "old" alone. I am sure I will still have my friends, I have been unable to alienate them this far. I look at my parents and see two people that not only have shared most of their lives together but are also truly enjoying retirement and their "golden years" together. I would love for my retired life to be spent with, caring for and being cared by, that special someone.

I suspect part of this fear is my new found freedom from my last relationship and partly from my proximity to the big Four Oh.

I guess I will avoid thinking about this issue by returning to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. My parents had a troubled marriage, and for most of my youth I wished that they would divorce so each might find a little happiness. In their twilight years, however, they had a bond that was precious and life-sustaining. There were so few people left that they had known when they were young. The sins of the past were forgotten and they helped each other gladly.